Thursday, October 3, 2013

What Life is Like Without Reading Fiction

     As a biology major, I don't get to read much of anything that doesn't involve science. All the material I read involves scientific fact and science articles and proven hypotheses of science experiments. (I also get to see a ton of equations - I am required to take math up to Calculus II). I can honestly say that it leaves me with a very suppressed feeling; I feel as though I never have time to read or write anything that I want to read. I actually miss writing structured papers with a thesis and body paragraphs, as sad as it sounds. Don't get me wrong, I love what I am doing - organic chemistry is particularly interesting to me - but I feel deprived of creativity without reading.
     The last book I read was called Power Failure by Mimi Swartz. It was about the collapse of Enron and all the shady things that the company did. I know that sounds like a total drag but seriously, it's crazy to read about such appalling and true events, and how people could have been so heartless. I would definitely recommend it to people who are looking for a little boost in their economic education.
     Though I like educational books, I love a good classic novel. There is so much you can learn from the characters and they have such good stories; some authors have the ability to pull you in and make the main character's struggles your struggles. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are my favorites by far and large; the Brontë sisters wrote with such eloquence and imagination. I honestly wish we still spoke the way they did back then; I feel like people in general expressed so much more with their words then than we do now.
     The main point of all this is that I signed myself up for a class. It's a free class, and there is no consequence if I do not follow through with completing the material. I don't get credit, but I do get a certificate of completion if I do it all. It is a class where we read sci-fi and fantasy novels and write short essays on them. I feel as though if I have an incentive to read, I will definitely make the time for it. I looked at the syllabus and we will be reading Children's and Household Tales by the Grimm Brothers, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, and Dracula by Bram Stoker. Sadly, I am ridiculously overjoyed at the prospect of reading these novels and having the chance to write about them. It is something I truly miss! Also, the course I am taking is through coursera.org. They have tons of free classes, no catch - you should check it out if you want to branch outside of (or expand your knowledge inside of) your major.

-Bri

1 comment:

  1. That drenching is bolstered by the way the cerebrum handles dialect rich in point of interest, reference and analogy: by making a mental representation that draws on the same mind districts that would be dynamic if the scene were unraveling, all things considered. The passionate circumstances and good quandaries that are the stuff of writing are likewise fiery activity for the cerebrum, pushing us inside the heads of anecdotal characters and even by help of thesis writing service studies propose, expanding our genuine limit for sympathy.

    ReplyDelete